9/2/11

Rick Klu







Rick Klu

Title: Jesus was WAY cool.
Acrylic paint over oil on panel
(Artist Statement by Rick Klu below...)
There is a song by the band King Missile that is called: Jesus was way cool. I've always liked that song, not just because it was funny, but, because it put Jesus in a lighter frame of mind and referred to him as a down to earth guy who had some fun traits. After Jo and Marlow gave me the painting for modification, I was having a hard time coming up with a concept to do, so the painting sat at my work table, egging me on until I finally painted some sunglasses on him. After that I decided that the sunset wasn't bright enough to warrant a reason to wear sunglasses. Then came the nuclear cloud. Even then, I still wasn't sure what to do with it. Then one day I had that song stuck in my head and decided to finish the painting. In my finished scenario, Jesus is finishing off the keg at a camping party that he threw for his buddies, just chilling and watching the sun come up after a long bender with his biker friends. Don't worry though, Jesus cleans up after the party because, well, Jesus is WAY cool...
- Rick Klu